7.22.2011

It's about freakin time!


So, for the month of June, everyday I walked past a storefront underconstruction to get from work to parking stall and vise versa, knowing full well it was a Mexican Taqueria joint in the making.  Yes, I was hesitant, knowing that Mexican restaurants in Edmonton just didn't cut it for me.  For awhile, I thought maybe it's the sun, the air, the locally grown vegetables and the "carbon" that made everything in Mexico taste fantastic, but passing Tres Carnales on June 30th and peaking in, gave me a completely different point of view - I couldn't wait to give this place and try, and guess what?  It didn't disappoint!  Tres Carnales (three friends) has officially jumped to the front of the line as one of may favorite places to eat in Edmonton!

I think, really, it's a combination of a few things.  They got it right, simply put.  A small, tight menu of traditional items anyone can find at a taqueria stall in Mexico.  Housemade with family recipes and fresh ingredients - that's a big plus in my book!  Then, there is the decor - bright murals, reminiscent of your favorite taqueria, a small selection of Catrinas and other Mexican art, rustic wood and an inviting communal table to share with other appreciative Edmontonians.  Couple this with my love of Mexico and Mexican cuisine, and it's a wrap!


Love the idea of a communal table - I hope they add another!

But on to more important things - the menu - a complete list of your favorite tacos, including Arrachera (beef), Pollo (chicken), Carnitas (slow braised pork shoulder), Vegetarian, Chorizo, Rajas con Crema (Poblano pepper) and hold on to your seat.... Al Pastor. YES - Al Pastor - and the authentic way - marinated pork on a spit. You had me at Al...
Tacos y cerveza? Si Senor! And to go with your tacos is a small list of drinks, including Mexican beer and Sangria, Mexican pop and a typical Jamaican flower infused water. Want some appies to start? DO NOT pass up there Totopos - Housemade (and served warm) chips with Guacamole! I hear if you ask for the real deal, spicy salsa will emerge from the back... Take a look at some fantastic plates!

 
Housemade totopos - served with an equally awesome guacamole!

Rajas con Crema - this taco has poblano peppers, corn and Mexican crema

Mmmm.... my husband's favorite - Arrachera (grilled flank steak tacos)

The main event for me - Tacos Al Pastor - marinated pork on a spit

Housemade Mexican ground sausage sandwich - Chorizo Torta


The quiet exterior - look closely for the Cerveza Corona sign and the "el dia de los muertes" styled signage

Oh, and did I mention that 75% of the menu is gluten free, so celiacs everywhere rejoice!
Get down, try it out, and whatever you do, save a seat for me!  Pass it on - they deserve the kudos and the success!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.