6.15.2012

Best Olive Oil in Town?

For the past week, my husband, daughter and dog have been hosting some dear friends from England.  First time in Canada and of course, first time in Edmonton.  Where to start the tour on a Saturday in June?  Why the downtown Farmer's Market, of course! 

It's been a while since my last toodle through the 104 Street area of town, and you know, it never fails.  What's not to like about a few wine bars, coffeehouses, a great french bistro, diner, etc alongside a festival, parade and the local market.  In fact, it was a bit of an assault of the senses.  But through the crowds, I did notice a new storefront.  New to me, as I have to admit, I'm not sure how long it's been opened.  Nonetheless, it's a find that I can strike off my list as this store sells...Olive oil!  Yes, I'm as shocked as you!  A store completely dedicated to vats of olive oil from around the world (OK, vinegars and some other specialty items as well) and in Edmonton.  In a city where I have always struggled finding a nice olive oil to suit our meals, it's a breath of fresh air.  And to my delight, a tasting store - YES!  Edmonton, meet Evoolution.  Evoolution - thank you for coming!

Take a look at their beautiful interior...






Label for each olive oil


This is what I love about Edmonton: as northern a city and as more of a town feel than an urban metropolis, you can find gems that bring the world to you.  Would you believe I found an olive oil David and I tasted on one of our trips to the Sonoma/Napa region?  And such a beautiful store as well - I love the industrial stainless steel vats mixed with the warm wood.  Very Californian, very foodie and very welcoming.  Staff are readily available to walk you through the complexities of choosing an olive oil and happy to educate customers while they taste the wares.  This is my kind of store!  It's hard not to like a place where you can shop, eat and learn all at once.  Well, for me, it's ideal and it's on the list for next week!


0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.