5.24.2011

Babycakes: something for my Vegan friends


With the sad news of food allergies, I've been digging around to find some "edible" choices for baked goods that avoid eggs and milk.  Trust me, they are around, but boy, take care not to mistaken some for cardboard!  Yick!

Then, I remembered purchasing the cookbook from Babycakes, a famous NYC bakery known for it's vegan recipes that are mostly gluten-free and sugar-free, and great alternative for the "healthy" sweet tooth!  Buyers be forewarned, this cookbook has much hype surrounding it, but it's going to cost you a pretty penny to stock your shelves with the needed ingredients AND, after some research of the web, I was disheartened to see some terrible reviews on the poor results from the above mentioned recipes.  So, I took a chance, read through each recipe and decided on my experimental choice: Raspberry Scones.  Not because it was my favorite, but primarily because of the easy directions, and I had almost all of the ingredients available in my pantry.  To my surprise...they were great! NOT a traditional scone texture, but a flavorful and filling treat. In fact, I felt comfortable enough putting my reputation on the line and offering one to not only my daughter, but...hubby.  And guess again, they both really liked the scones.  In fact, I've made the recipe four times now, and each time they dive in for a treat.  That is success in my book!

I wish I could say the same for the banana bread.  Not good.  In fact, run.  Do not walk away if offered a slice - simply run. It's still too soon to completely review this cookbook, so I look forward to another blog with more experiments! Today I will share with you the recipe for Raspberry Scones, and I hope you give them a try.  But first, a few notes to the wise: do not make substitutions, ever.  I'll be the first to admit my ignornace in the art of vegan cooking, or is it wizardary?  Really. The chemistry in vegan baking is bizarre to say the least but hey, Erin McKenna has experimented on these recipes for years - we shouldn't have to!  As well, the directions tell you to use specific utensils at different stages of the recipe that, to me, sound a bit odd (whisking dry ingredients) but please, do it!  Why?  See aforementioned chemistry-in-kitchen bit. Ditto with "sitting times" after the goods are pulled from the oven.  No need to re-invent the wheel here people.

But, know at the end of the baking session, you will have a treat worthy to share with family and that is good for you, no matter your allergy, sensitivity, eating preferences or just trying to live a healthier life.  Enjoy, and please, let me know what you think of these!



Raspberry Scones from Babycakes  (makes 8)

Ingredients

2 cups Whole Spelt Flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/3 cup coconut OR canola oil, plus more for brushing
1/3 cup agave nectar, plus more for brushing
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup hot water
1 cup fresh raspberries

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add the oil, agave, and vanilla, and stir together until a thick, slightly dry batter is formed.  Pour the hot water into the batter and mix.  Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the raspberries just until they are marbled throughout the batter.

For each scone, scoop 1/3 cup batter onto the prepared baking sheet.  Space the scoops 1 inch apart to allow them to spread.  Lightly brush the tops with oil.  Bake the scones on the center rack for 14 minutes, rotating the sheet 180 degrees after 7 minutes.  The finished scones will be golden and slightly firm.  Remove from the oven and brush with agave nectar.

Let the scones stand on the sheet for 15 minutes, then carefully transfer them to a wire rack to cool.  Store the scones in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.