3.25.2012

For Lana

I have a great colleague (actually, MANY great colleagues!) at my not-so-new job that's made my transition into this new role a bit easier with her welcome smile, taking the time to answer my often simple questions and her amazingly optimistic view on well...everything!  To boot, she's really motivated me by her stories of adventure with her kids and the chia seed trail she leaves around the office!  It's great to have someone around the water cooler with a similar quirky view on life and a shared excitement over slipping flaxseed into cookie recipes!

So...this one is for Lana!  Thanks for the encouragement and your great spirit!  I love having someone that inspires me, just down the hallway!

I found a vegan and quite healthy cookie recipe online that I've tweaked to make my own - excellent as a breakfast bar or just a quick pick-me-up!  The ingredients might surprise you, but don't turn the page!  I encourage you to give them a try!  With three very different tastes in this household and three thumbs up, it's worth the effort.  And who'd think you could replace eggs with flax seeds and water, hey Lana? :-)

Healthy Oatmeal and Chocolate Treats

Ingredients

2 tsp. ground flaxseed
2 Tbsp. water
1 cup quick oats
1 cup spelt flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup good quality chocolate chips
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup maple syrup OR agave syrup
1 banana, mashed
1/2 tsp. lemon juice

Directions

Set the over to 350.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the flaxseeds and water and set aside until thickened, about ten minutes.

Mix the oats, flour, soda, powder, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.  Add the chocolate.

Add the remaining wet ingredients, including the flaxseed/water in another bowl, mix well.  Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until combined, but DO NOT overmix.

On a prepared baking sheet, drop heaping Tablespoons of the mixture on the sheet and flatten the cookies slightly with the back of a fork.  Bake for 8-12 minutes, until the cookies start to brown on the bottom.

Remove from the oven, let cool and store in a container for up to 2 days.  I like to freeze these and just take them out of the freezer as needed!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.