8.03.2010

Anniversary Ideas


My husband and I will be celebrating our second wedding anniversary on August 9th.  Last year, we both chose gifts to exchange (unknowingly) that followed the traditional symbol: paper.  This year we were under the impression that the second anniversary was wood, and I scrambled to get some unique ideas for him.  However, my intuition led me to a google search, and low and behold the traditional symbol - cotton! And the modern symbol - china!  Ah, Houston, I have a problem!



Does this fill you with inspiration?  Suggestions anyone?

My daughter has suggested this...



However, she suggests this for every gift, for every occasion!

Where do they get this stuff, anyway?  What is it about the tenth anniversary (for example) that someone has deemed it worthy of a tin or aluminum gift?  Anyway, I have one week and few sparks of imagination right now.  Somehow, I don't see a set of bath towels going over so well, or my husband thanking me profusely for the lovely tablecloth or placements.  Let's not even start with china as a possibility....

All of this sparked further research into why the almighty "they" have deemed August 9th, 2010 as the year of cotton for us.  I found the following:

By the time a couple celebrates their second anniversary, they are more cozy with one another, making cotton the appropriate anniversary gift for this wedding anniversary celebration.
Here are some second wedding anniversary ideas and symbols to help you choose cotton or china gifts associated with your 2nd marriage anniversary.

2nd Anniversary Traditional Gift :

Cotton. As a material, cotton is both durable and versatile. These are both important qualities in a successful marriage. Cotton has also been known as a symbol of great prosperity.

2nd Anniversary Contemporary/Modern Gift:

China. Many people describe love as being elegant and beautiful. In the same way many people view love, china is seen as elegant and beautiful, too.

2nd Anniversary Gemstone:
Garnet.

2nd Anniversary Color:
Red.

Hmmm..  OK, so I feel better knowing that at least "they" have taken some time to make an analogy of cotton or china to the marriage, but somehow, I think it's a hill I am not ready to die on this year!

For those curious to know more about the traditional and modern wedding anniversary symbols, you can find the first 100 here!

http://marriage.about.com/cs/anniversaries/a/wedannivideas.htm

Some milestone anniversary symbols include:

5th
Traditional:  Wood
Modern:  Silverware

10th
Traditional:  Tin/Aluminum
Modern:  Diamond Jewellery

15th
Traditional:  Crystal
Modern:  Watches

20th
Traditional:  China
Modern: Platinum

25th
Traditional:  Silver
Modern:  Silver

30th
Traditional:  Pearl
Modern: Diamond

Happy Hunting!

K

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.