8.15.2010

What do you get the man who has everything?



This is a question my husband uses to poke fun at himself - he then answers "penicillin."  Now, if you are a scientist, this will be extremely funny.  If not, take it for what it is and.... move on.  And on is where I moved last week.  Abandoning the traditional guides for gifts to celebrate our second anniversary, I opted to buy him something near and dear to his heart - alcohol.

To be fair, my husband is English.  That speaks volumes.  However, over the past few years (and I think with my influence), my husband has taken a liking to wine.  More specifically, appreciating and collecting it.  We currently have about 200 bottles in our make shift cellar in the basement, and with the anniversary approaching, I went to my trusted computer and started googling my way to a brilliant idea.  I found Vintage Views.

http://www.vintageviews.com/


Vintage views is a wine rack system - in a variety of offerings from simple wall rack to complex cellar.  It is basic in design - two metal bars which hold the bottle in place but on it's side, so the entire bottle is viewed by the onlooker, not just the cork.  This enables you to find your favorite vintage in a moments notice as well as offering a beautiful piece of artwork to admire.

Vintage Views constructs wall mounted racks, free standing and custom racking.  In addition, your wine rack can hold 9 or 12 bottles in a single row, double roll or triple roll.  In other words, racks to hold anywhere from 9 - 36 bottles of your favorite wine.




I then found Cellar 1855, a business based in Edmonton that offered home consultations, drafted design plans, imported and installed vintage view racks!  I decided to start small and installed one 12-bottle rack in our dining room, and filled the rack with some Chianti Classico Reserva.  It was a well-received gift.  My initial idea of building a wine wall of about 48 bottles to view went to the back burner when I could not find a millwright to frame them in.  I guess all worked out for the best, because hubby did not want our collection in a warm room!  I think he has dreams of building his own cellar in the depths of the basement!



K

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use to contract as the installation carpenter to Cellar 1855. While they are nice guys, try are way over their head when it comes to custom construction. Their imported racking is poorly designed and constructed. You are better off going to a custom cabinet maker or wood mill working shop. Don't pay an exhorbant amount for an inferior product.

Powered by Blogger.