8.19.2010

How's the garden growing?

Well, it's the middle of August and my husband and I have been waiting for summer to come and without hesitation, we now feel that fall has arrived!  On top of the not-so-great-summer-season, Edmonton has been blessed with plenty of rain which has brought a bumper crop of mosquitoes!  Now, I don't mean to complain, but boy, does it ever diminish your need to spend time in the garden!  And increase your need for a beach vacation!

My battle with the rabbit population of our neighbourhood continues and on our first walk of the season last night, my husband and I noticed that the neighbours apple trees (a few houses up) have no apples this year!  What is going on?  My husband says it's 2012, as in the beginning of the end of the world.  I'm already looking forward to starting over in May 2011!

Regardless of my whining, we have had some success in our garden this year.  And I think enough Italian vegetables to support an upcoming Italian-themed appetizer party!  A bumper crop of tomatoes for a crostini with some fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.


(I like to grow these sweet 100s variety in containers)

And my first attempt at fava beans has been a success!  I have to say, if you have room in your garden next year, plant these seeds!  Not only are they easy to grow, they are quite beautiful with large and wide stalks with interesting white and black flowers.  Also, if you haven't added fava beans to your plate - why not?  These beans have a sweet, nutty taste and are wonderful in salads as well as pasta dishes, purees or a simply served side.  My love of these beans came from a visit to Bottega restaurant this past spring, where my husband and I shared a pan fried gnocchi dish with fresh fava beans and sweet peas, finished with meyer lemon - heaven! 


(These stalks rest against our back fence and offer beautiful foliage)

We also have a good crop of eggplant this year - I'm sensing some Italian fritto in my near future (Fritto Misto di Verdura)!  Chef Guisi in Montanare showed us a clever recipe for using fresh vegetables and herbs, coating them with a simple batter and frying.  I hope my guests enjoy this Italian take on tempura with the surprise of eating fresh herbs and vegetables from our garden - bueno!

(Our eggplants join our tomatoes in pots in our garden)

Of course a trip to the Italian market cannot be avoided.  Unfortunately, our arugula was not once, but twice the victim of hungry hares, and no animals were raised in our urban osasis!  Bresaola, proscuitto and peach nectar are on the grocery list - we'd have to live in Italy otherwise.  Hmmmm.....




(Poor arugula, happy rabbits)

So, how is your garden doing this year?  I'd love to hear from you and feel free to attach pictures of your crop!

K

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.