1.11.2011

Artichokes

re

They say that the only thing you can depend on is change - nothing stays the same.  For us, it means learning, experiencing new ways to do or see something through reading, travel and interfacing with different cultures.  We evolve - it is part of being human, and with that, great things happen.

My case study is my husband.  With intellect and drive (and great looks!) he has accomplished so much during his career - if I do half as much, I will be happy.  That wouldn't have happened if he didn't punch in the time, take chances and learn through trail and error, and trust me, it is never a perfectly smooth ride.  Sticktoitness. Kudos to him for being brave enough to take that journey.  Over the past years, he has begun another equally exciting journey to learn new things in life, including renovations, gardening, Spanish and yes, cooking!  As he approaches retirement, work energy is becoming replaced with other great forms of energy.

David never ceases to impress me.  After watching me in the kitchen cooking throughout the years and with the Food Network in the background, he is very excited about a new challenge - joining me in the kitchen.  In fact, last winter he came back from the grocery store, bags in hand and smile on face, telling me he was taking care of dinner tonight, and by the way, get the &%$# out of the kitchen.  It would prove a lesson to us both!  That night my husband tried several new recipes he found online, including one with fresh artichokes! 

Yeah, you read correctly...fresh artichokes.  Now, I am no master in the kitchen but I have never attempted those mysterious thistley vegetables before.  I was excited to see what they'd taste like, nervous for my husband and to be honest, a bit beaten at the reality that he took charge to conquer that vegetable before me!  Anyway, the dinner turned out wonderful, the artichokes were great, if not time consuming, and the entire experience solidified my husband's beliefs that he was going to master the kitchen into retirement!





So, in honor of my husband who never stops surprising me and loving me, I give you the easy approach to conquering the mighty artichoke!  Thank you to Aglio, Olio and Peperoncino for this easy guide:

http://www.aglioolioepeperoncino.com/2009/04/carciofi-alla-romana.html

And to my dear husband, thank you for being an inspiration to me and those you surround.  You are a constant source of joy and I know soon...we will need a bigger kitchen.  xoxo

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.