1.09.2011

Colours for 2011

Well, we've seen it throughout the Spring 2011 in September- the new trends in colour are creams, champagnes and blush hues.  In fact, put it on top of your list if you are walking down the isle in 2011 - shades of rose and blush mixed with rich champagne in dresses, flowers and all decorations are king.


Well, what you see on the runway typically emerges in home design and all areas of your life, eventually!  Prime example - anyone catch the new series on HGTV this week, Sarah 101?  If you did, there was a very different shade used to decorate a client's home:  Honeysuckle.



I know, I am not into trendy clothing or the "what's hot" list typically, however, if it's good design, I am in.  I mean, just because a designer comes out with a model dressed in Uggs, leggings and a mini skirt doesn't mean you have to sign up for this look (and trust me, you shouldn't)!  My rule of thumb has always been to stick with what works best on you and add in the trends as you feel comfortable. The same goes for how you choose to decorate the world around you - your home. So when I heard about this new colour, I had to check it out.  Sounds like a floral colour, probably with a strong yellow hue, right?  Think again... pink. Yup, it's a bright pink with undertones of yellow or orange, like coral or the popular 80s color, salmon.  And, actually, quite nice when intermixed with more masculine lines and pieces.



And now I am quite exited to see what will show up in the accessory departments of my favorite home stores this Spring!  Two years ago I refurbished our front porch bench.  I took the tired beige wicker, gave it a blast of rich black and replaced the main cushion with a beautiful neutral taupe - very contemporary.  Then, I found these fantastic bright coral throw pillows as well as a coral and white patterned pillows, reminiscent of coral reef, and fell in love with a new, fresh take on a classic piece!

I wonder if I can continue some of that re-freshening inside the house this year?  Considering we currently use red as the main accent coupled with adjacent shades on the colour wheel (pink to dark purple), I hope I can incorporate an updated but classic feel that is warm, inviting and comfortable.


0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.