10.12.2011

Easy Peasy Comfy Food: Chicken Pie


In the early days of retirement, my husband has decided to take up cooking.  Once a week he searches through cookbooks or watches some food tv program to get inspiration for a mid-week meal.  His rules: once during the work week, a new recipe and never the same recipe twice.  His rules, not mine!

So, for my birthday Mr. Wonderful decided to make a Jamie Oliver chicken pot pie - it's the perfect definition of a fall comfort food on a cold day, with thick chunks of chicken mixed with vegetables and a smooth creamy sauce.  David's version of this recipe though, has a few adjustments to save the waistline and keep in mind my allergies.  It was a gamble, but turned out fantastic.  And sorry love, Chicken Pot Pie will be repeated in our house many times before Spring arrives again!

The recipe can be found in Jamie Oliver's latest cookbook, Thirty Minute Meals (if your Jamie Oliver, yes.  If not, a titch longer).  I thought I would share this you tube link, as it walks through the ease of the recipe, and I will follow up with the written recipe.  As an aside, we substituted the creme fraiche/cream with a double portion of almond milk.  And as we are not huge fans of mushrooms, my husband substituted peas and carrots.  I'd experiment with additional veggies - variety goes a long way during the winter months!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_VNuW23lD8

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.