10.03.2011

Preserve those herbs!

For the gardener  or the foodie that decided to get inspired and plant some herbs this summer, it's now time to figure out what to do with those beautiful smelling bushes.  Gone are the winters that I would curse buying half dead "fresh" herbs at the local grocery store, simply because I have learned the not-so fine art of preserving.  Whether to dry or to freeze is your preference, your bountiful harvest can keep each meal at the peak of perfection throughout our cold, long winter.



There are many different ways to preserve herbs: hang them to dry, freeze them, mix with oil to freeze or develop your own collection of scented oils; don't forget the humble looking, but out of this world flavour of the simple compound butter: simply mix your favourite herbs with butter, place in a sheet of parchment or cling wrap, form into a log and freeze.  Then, just cut off rounds as you need them throughout the year.



Last year I tried drying herbs - it's fine, but with the quantity I'd like to preserve this fall, I doubt I have enough hanging space in my home that won't drive hubby crazy.  So, this year, I am opting to dry freeze my herbs.  This entails a good wash with cold water, spin them to dry in a salad spinner, place them in a ziploc and throw them into the freezer.  Forget about them and about a week later, you should have herbs that are frozen with the leaves fallen away from the stems.  Then, simply place the leaves in a canning jar or other container, label and place in the freezer for winter consumption.




But first, a few quick notes: herbs can mostly be divided into two categories: hard and soft.  Rosemary, thyme and sage I categorize as hard, as they lend themselves to longer cooking times.  Mint, basil and parsley, on the other hand, are soft herbs that tend to perform best when added to food in the final few minutes of cooking.  After some Internet research, I found a preserving trend: hard herbs fare well to dry freezing, while soft herbs worked well freezing with an oil or butter. (think pesto frozen in ice cube trays)

It's your preference with how you maintain your herbs, but why not enjoy the fruits of your summer labor long into the winter months?  When nothing is growing outside, I feel satisfied that I can still enjoy a fantastically flavored meal that has some origin from our backyard.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.