10.23.2011

My Favorite New Ingredient

Since uncovering my allergies to milk, whey protein and soy, I've been in the "test kitchen"  trying to find alternatives worthy of keeping my appliances turned on.  I'm an avid baker and have the best sweet tooth I know, so it was devastating to think my options were giving up the heavenly indulgences found in every bakeshop or worse still, left with an alternative void of the good stuff and reselmbling, well....a football.

I've had some ugly results, some clear misses, but thankfully, a few good products emerged from my experiments as keepers in my pantry.  The best by far, is almond milk.  Yup, tastes good and is even better in baked goods or wherever you use milk/cream in baking or cooking.  I've used almond milk in cookies, cakes and brownies as much as I've used it in Chicken Pot Pie and even soups!  The richness of this milk leaves you feeling that you've indulged, and the nutty flavour is a great addition to most recipes.  Also easily substituted in your favorite hot breakfast cereal or coffee of choice.



Almond milk is now readily available in all grocery stores, from organic grocers, health stores to food chains and even Walmart!  While it comes in original, vanilla and chocolate, I try to by the unsweetened versions, coming in at only 40 calories for one cup (250ml) and containing a huge amount of vitamins, minerals and one third of your daily calcium.  What's not to like?



My favorite (so far) is Blue Diamond's Unsweetened Almond Breeze - I use the original for all my baking and often buy the vanilla for cakes, smoothies and coffees.

Besides almond milk providing an option for those adverse to milk products, it's also really good for you!  I've noticed in one month of it in my diet that my skin has improved - both in texture and fighting off imperfections, of which there are many!  This milk is also rich in protein, omega fatty acids, low in sodium and void of saturated fats - the list goes on!

You can even make your own at home by adding 1 cup of almonds to a food processor or blender, then add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, 2 full glasses of water add 1/2 teaspoon of honey and blend it up. Fresh homemade almond milk is probably the healthiest way to go, but I just haven't found the time yet to give it a try!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.