7.08.2010

Prosecco and Tapas Tonight on the Patio


So, I am having my first launch party under the Stella and Dot line!  I am excited, but this time of year lends many "no" replies on the guest list.  Regardless, the house is open, the wine flows and appies are on the patio on one of the best evenings of the season (to date).

Along with my usual Pellegrino supply, I am hosting with my loved Prosecco (Italian sparkling wine) both in pure form and in the traditional Bellini (Prosecco mixed with pureed fruit in season).  Prosecco is an Italian wine generally a dry sparkling wine made from a variety of white grape of the same name. The grape is grown mainly in the Veneto region of Italy, traditionally in an area near Conegliano and Valdobbiadene, in the hills north of Treviso.


Prosecco is so versatile with a wide variety of foods and can be introduced into several courses through a dinner.  I learned that when hosting a dinner party, the cheese course, typically the transition course that leads your palate from savory to sweet dishes, is well served with a sparking wine, not to mention appetizers and desserts!
 


Because I have a 9-5 job, family and life is crazy right now, I need to keep things simple.  Simple to me is defined as Tapas.  A Spanish invention meaning little plates, tapas are the Spanish version of our North American appetizers.  Tapas originated in local bars when your drink order would appear with a small plate over the mouth of the glass. On this plate would reside a variety of simple snacks from fried vegetables to olives or a local protein.  Excellent idea!



Tapas can be whatever is locally caught in seafood or meat, seared with a simple sauce, fried potatoes with sauces is very traditional, as well as a selection of cold meats, cheese and vegetables, similar to an Italian Antipasto.  Tonight I have chosen my favorite standby of a Spanish cured ham sliced with cantaloupe melon.  A bowl of Spanish nuts and olives, as well as a platter filled with fresh bread, Manchego cheese, dates and chorizo (Spanish sausage).


I find the fastest and freshest way to execute a Spanish-themed plate is a trip to the Italian Centre Shop.  They sell the largest and freshest selection of meats and cheeses, and Italian specialities are so closely related to Spanish, you can't go wrong!  So next time guests call and you need to spend time doing other things than slaving away in the kitchen, google some tapas recipes and I guarantee you'll find a space in your heart for Spanish cuisine!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.