12.08.2010

I have a confession

I am addicted to recipes - on line, in magazine and from friends.   And cookbooks... don't get me started!  Though my husband likes to poke fun at my ever increasing collection of books and the fact that I am always wanting another, truth be told I am no hoarder, and religiously, every year I cull my collection.  Not that it ever improves the square footage of our home....

I am also a gluten for punishment, as very rarely when sharing a meal with family or friends will I cook a tested and trusted meal - I always seem to dive off the deep end and have at least 2/3 courses from new sources of food ideas.  But you know, that is a part of learning, becoming more skilled and just my safe way of showing I have an adventurous (if not insane) side!

So, a few years ago I came across a great recipe for Turkey a la Bobby Flay - you got it - Mexican/Southwestern Christmas dinner.  How cool would that be?  Obviously not for everyone, because my husband gave an instant two thumbs down - something about a Christmas meal being traditional and why not try it in the summer.  OKayyy.  Tell me what you really think.  No, I appreciate his straight-forwardness and honesty.  So, I went back to my Internet mining for more traditional ideas.

Now, I know it sounds like I have been in the confessional booth for about three paragraphs now, but trust me, it is still to come.  One fine Saturday morning during our ritual: read the paper, consume morning coffee and have the food network in the background, the TV caught our eye with an early Christmas program by a certain eccentric UK "TV" chef.  My husband watched the preparation and simply said - see, tradition is good sometimes.  From that note, I quickly made my way to the computer, printed off the recipe and scoured the city for the exact ham (just about impossible in Canada) and prepared this meat for Christmas Eve dinner.  It was a success.  My husband, daughter and stepson couldn't get enough of it!  In fact, stepson and husband were going back to the trough throughout the evening, and it came in handy on Christmas morning for my husband's request of ham on toast with Mimosas for breakfast.

Aromatic Ham - now a new tradition for our family on Christmas Eve.  What changes from year to year is the side dishes and desserts, but this recipe is a classic.  For those readers in the UK- you will have no trouble finding the right ham, for those in Canada, I found it impossible to get this ham in Edmonton, so I went to Sunterra and they directed me to the closest substitute.  If you are looking to change up a holiday standard, or have some guests over during this festive season, this is the recipe for you - very little up time involved, cover the lid and let the stove do all the work.  Though note to file, probably not best to go to the pub while it's cooking!

Yes, my confession... One of my traditional recipes for our family Christmas is adapted from Nigella Lawson.




Aromatic Spiced Ham
Ingredients for the ham:

1 (4-pounds 15-ounce to 6-pounds 1-ounce) boneless mild-cure gammon

8 3/4 fluid ounces (250ml) red wine

5 pints 5 1/2 fluid ounces (3 liters) water (approximately)

1 large onion, halved

2 garlic cloves, unpeeled

1 head fennel, halved

2 star anise

1 tablespoon coriander seed

1 tablespoon fennel seed

1 tablespoon mixed peppercorns

Ingredients for the glaze:

Approximately 16 whole cloves

4 tablespoons red currant jelly

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar

Directions

Place the gammon in a large saucepan. Add all the ingredients for the ham to the pan, adding more water if the ham isn't covered. Bring to the boil, before reducing the heat to a simmer and partially covering the pan. Cook for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, approximately 1 hour a kilo simmering time, plus an extra 15 minutes.

When you are ready to glaze the ham, preheat oven to 440 degrees F (230 degrees C).

Remove the ham from the liquid and sit the ham on a board. Strip off the rind, and a little of the fat layer if it's very thick, and cut a diamond pattern into the remaining fat with a sharp knife in lines of about 3/4-inch apart. Stud each diamond with a clove. Put the jelly, cinnamon, paprika and red wine vinegar into a saucepan and whisk together over a high heat bringing it to the boil. Let the pan bubble away so that the glaze reduces to a syrup-like consistency.

Place a layer of foil over a roasting tray big enough to hold the ham. Place the ham on top of the foil. Pour the glaze over the clove-studded ham and then transfer it to the oven. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the glazed fat is burnished. Allow the meat to rest in a warm place for at least 15 minutes before carving it.

For the more visually inclined:


http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/shows/nigellas-christmas-kitchen/

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.