5.27.2010

We have apples...almost!


I couldn't wait to get home last night - there in our backyard was our newly planted Goodland apple tree! (Thank you David!) I have always wanted an apple tree - or any fruit-bearing tree to be honest. Growing up in Newfoundland doesn't give you the experience of picking your own fruit from trees in your garden.

Last year my dear husband finally agreed to plant an apple tree, but we had a problem: we live in a new subdivision where apple trees are non-existent. The solution was to purchase a hybrid tree - this is basically an apple tree with branches from different varieties of apples grafted on the trunk, hence pollinating itself. Brilliant! I guess everyone else had the same idea, and about a week earlier than me. But this year I was determined, prepared and blessed to uncover a neighbour a few houses away that had planted not one, but five apple trees!! FIVE!!

I sourced several different tree farms and nurseries around town, determined not to purchase what looked like a broken off branch planted in a small container, but an actual tree with some substance - I did want to enjoy eating these apples in my lifetime. And now that pollination was close at hand, I had options for a larger tree and a specific variety. After much research about the type of apple produced, texture of the product, when to harvest, what the apple could be used for (ornamental, eating, baking, etc) and how long it could be stored, I came up with the Goodland or Honeycrisp apple. Both apples are great to eat or use in baking, they are crisp, sweet and juicy and have a long storage period after harvest. Now to find the tree...

We came across Greenland Garden Centre in Sherwood Park. A little more expensive, but a fantastic selection of branches and whole trees! The place is huge, and almost reminded me of a vacation retreat instead of a store - as far as the eye can see, through pathways and natural landscapes you can view their wares. Although I thought it was a bit odd to sell shoes and jewellery at a nursery (focus, people) we were absolutely impressed by the knowledgeable, courteous and even eager-to-help staff.

http://www.greenlandgarden.com/

Best of all, become a member and receive extras discounts for all your gardening needs! If you are looking for that special something to add to your garden as well as some further education on the topic, I highly recommend a drive to Greenland. Be warned, weekends are a bit crazy! For now, my daughter and I will check our tree daily for signs of our fall treats!

K

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.